Website © S. John the Divine PCC and S. J. Oakes 2013
The Anglican Shrine of our Lady of Walsingham is visited most years by members of St. John’s congregation, who stay in pilgrim accommodation for two or three days.
Pilgrimage to Walsingham dates back to the eleventh century. The present Shrine Church was built in 1931 and is now a famous centre of Christian pilgrimage. At the heart of the Shrine is the replica of the Holy House of Nazareth which is home to the image of Our Lady of Walsingham.
There are thousands of pilgrims and visitors each year from a variety of traditions and denominations.
The Shrine, which is open to all visitors, is situated in the village of Little Walsingham which lies a few miles from the North Norfolk coast between Wells-next-the-sea and the small market town of Fakenham.
During the course of a year over 10,000 pilgrims stay at the Shrine which can accommodate 200 pilgrims at any one time.
Most come on pilgrimage organised by their local church - either for the weekend or for three or four days midweek. The pilgrimage season runs from February until the beginning of December.
Anglica Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. Click for picture gallery.